New England Homes for the Deaf Thompson House FAQ

Hi, my name is Heidi Clemmey. I work at New England Homes for the Deaf (NEHD.) I’m going to give you an introdution to the Thompson House (TH.) The independent living facility on NEHD’s campus. I’m going to give answers to five frequently asked question about TH. Number one: What is TH? TH is a 24 unit HUD owned apartment building designed for Deaf individuals. Number 2: How much is the rent? HUD pays a portion of each person’s rent according to a formula. For example, someone with a monthly income of $1,500 who pays $104 in Medicare… $50 for prescriptions and an average of $150 in doctor co-pays would have an adjusted income… of $1,204,–30% of $1,204. The resident would be responsible to pay $361. Number three: What is included in the rent? Water, hot water, heat and air conditioning are included. Residents must pay for their own TV, electricity and internet. Number four: How do I qualify to live at TH? There are two major qualifications… The head of household or the co-head must be Deaf. Income must fall under the very low income limits set by HUD. Currently set in the lower range of $30,000. These figures are subject to change annually. Number five: Can I have pets? Residents are allowed to have cats, birds, fish and small dogs. Residents must be able to care for the animals and keep them up-to-date on all vaccinations. And of course, service dogs are allowed. If you want more information about TH, please feel free to contact us. You can visit our website You can also like us on Facebook. Thank You.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *